|::Departments : Clinical : Dental Surgery|
Dept.of dental and facio-maxilary surgery of GVMCH is functioning from day of inception as one of the speciality department,it was earlier dental o.p in govt.pentland hospital ,but now emerged as a specialist maxillofacial centre catering to need of people of vellore and districts nearby like tiruvannamalai,kanchipuram etc., , providing comprehensive treatment in dental and maxillofacial pathologies including trauma care .in our department we treat a wide spectrum of facio-maxillary trauma like leforte I ,II,III fractures, mandible fracture,fractures of zygomatico-maxillary complex, frontalbone fractures etc.,
In our department we cater to patients with various oral diseases from carious tooth,periodontal diseases(gum diseases) to complex cysts and tumors of jawbones. Treatment spectrum done here are extraction,scaling, surgical removal of impacted teeth,biopsy for oral lesions,excisions of tumors,resection and reconstruction of maxilla and mandible, cleft surgeries,orthognathic surgeries for skeletal deformities etc.,
Students in their final year will have their lecture classes covering diseases of jaw bones in relation to general surgery.
- Medical students of GVMCH have their dental postings in their 2nd yr curriculum and they are taught about basics in dentistry with their application general medical practice
- Department of Dental and Facio-maxillary surgery also conducts a certification program in general dentistry for the B.D.S.,graduates as a special training for a period of 6 months covering various aspects of general dental treatment with emphasis on oral and maxillofacial surgery.
- COMPARATIVE STUDY OF DISTRIBUTION OF STRESS ON THE NATURAL TOOTH AND PERIODONTIUM BY DIFFERENT TYPES OF RESTORATIVE CROWN MATERIAL- A PHOTOELASTIC STUDY - DR.VINAYAGAVEL PUBLISHED IN INDIAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL RESEARCH [IJCR]
OP TIMINGS : 8 AM TO 2PM
8AM TO 12PM OP PT.TREATMENTS AND 12 TO 2 PM IP PATIENTS ARE TREATED.
DENTAL OP FUNCTIONS ON ALL DAYS FROM MONDAY TO SATURDAYS
AVERAGE O.P : 1200 /MONTH
TREATMENTS DONE ARE
General Dental treatments:
Specialized surgical treatments
Minor surgical procedures
Major surgical procedures
- Archbar splinting for subluxated teeth
- Maxillomandibular Fixation for fractures in facial region
- Surgical removal of impacted 3rd molars
- Cyst enucleation
In our dept.around 395 dental procedures are carried out every month,out of which
- Open reduction and rigid internal fixation[ORIF]
- Excision of cysts and benign tumors of jaw bones
- Resection and reconstruction of odontogenic tumors
- Orthognathic surgeries
- Cleft lip and palate surgeries
OTHER MINOR SURGICAL PROC. 30
MAJOR SURGERIES 5
Serving the needy has been the motto of our department,with every day increase in Road Traffic Accidents and also pathologies like oral cancers growing at an alarming rate we are striving hard in keeping pace with this trend and so the poor and needy can get the benefits.