History of the Department
Government Vellore Medical College was started in the year 2005
Department of Biochemistry was established in the same year. The department renders teaching services for both undergraduate medical and paramedical courses. The central lab attached to the department renders services to the nearby hailing patients in and around Vellore. The lab is working for 24 hours with technicians working in shifts .The laboratory investigations are performed for all outpatients and inpatients admitted in Govt.Vellore Medical College Hospital. Emergency Tests are done for IMCU patients and results are dispatched immediately for proper management.
Type of course: Medical & paramedical
Name of course – M.B.B.S & D.M.L.T
MBBS- Higher secondary education
DMLT- Higher secondary education
MBBS – 4 ½ years+ 1 year internship
DMLT- 2 years+ 3 months internship
University Examination details:
University examination including theory, practical & viva at the end of academic year –MBBS
University examination including theory, practical & viva at the end of the course (2 Years) -DMLT
Periodic academic activities in the department:
- Lecture classes
- Practical classes
- Viva Voce
- Integrated teaching-Vertical And Horizontal
- Demonstrations of laboratory procedures
- Periodic Internal assessment examinations of theory, practical & viva
- Hands on training in the clinical laboratory for paramedical students
- Lists of laboratory tests performed
- Plasma glucose, OGTT
- Renal function tests- Blood Urea, serum creatinine, creatinine clearance, uric acid, serum electrolytes,
- Liver function tests- Serum total bilirubin, Direct bilirubin, SGOT, SGPT, ALP, Total protein, albumin, A:G ratio
- Lipid profile- Total cholesterol, triglycerides
- Biochemical analysis of pleural, ascitic and cerebrospinal fluids
- 24 hour urinary protein
- Amylase, creatinine kinase, LDH, serum calcium and serum phosphorus.
Average number of tests done on a day -550 -650 /day.
O.P -200 -250 tests /day.
I.P -350-400 tests/Day