|::Departments : Clinical : Orthopedic Surgery|
DEPARTMENT OF ORTHOPAEDICS|
GOVT. VELLORE MEDICAL COLLEGE
- HOD-Dr.S.Veerakumar M.S.( Ortho)
- Ortho II Chief: Dr.S.Murugasarthy M.S.(Ortho)
Dr.A.Senthil Kumar M.S.Ortho., D.Ortho
Dr.Chandra Mohan M.S. Ortho
Dr.Dhanesh Prasad M.S.Ortho
HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Department was started in year 2005 June with 5 assistant professors and 2 associate professors under the able guidance of Dean of Vellore Medical College
- Regular op was started and op strength gradually increased to about 150 per day.
- Major trauma cases around 20 are seen every day.
- Emergency fracture treatment and emergency surgeries are available round the clock.
- Patient from 10 government hospitals of this district and from 2 government hospitals of Arani and Thiruvanamalai are referred for orthopaedic management to our department.
- Elective surgeries both major and minor are performed 4 days per week i.e. on Monday., Tuesday,Thursday,Friday.
- Chief minister comprehensive health insurance scheme is going on succesfully from the date of launch of scheme.
PARAMEDICAL COURSE-ORTHO TECHNICIAN
AFFILIATED UNIVERSITY- The Tamilnadu Dr.MGR Medical University
SELECTION PROCEDURE-12th Marks
UNIVERSITY EXAMINATION DETAILS-conducted every year in the month of
- Clinical Ortho postings for MBBS undergraduates for 1st Clinical year, 2nd, and final year are being conducted in our Department throughout the academic year.
PERIODIC ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
IN DEPARTMENT PERIODIC ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
- DEPARTMENTAL MEETING every Saturday with seminar presentation by CRRI’s and MBBS students headed by HOD and conducted by associate professor and assistant professors.
- No. of units in department-2
- O.P. days and timing- mon-sat :7.30 am to 12 noon
- I.P unit and admission days:
Mon, Wed, Fri- I unit
Tue, Thur, Sat - II unit
Sunday-alternately by I and II
- Emergency surgeries on all days(24 x 7) (2 tables with 9 inch image intensifier)
- Elective surgeries On Mon,Tue,Thur,Fri (3 tables with 9 inch image intensifier)
- BED STRENGTH OF DEPARTMENT:
Male Ortho ward – 18+18
Female Ortho ward-15+15
Post op ward-3(m) + 2(f)
Along with beds available in sicu,500 ward
As per required.
- ELECTIVE(Major and Minor)
- Discectomy and spine surgeries
- Total hip replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Trauma management surgeries like fracture fixation.
- Polytrauma management
- External fixation
- Ilizarov’s external fixation
- Paediatric deformity correction
- Adult deformity correction
- k’ wire fixation
- Cancellous screw fixation
- Tension band wiring
- Pin traction
- Closed tenotomy
- Closed reduction and POP application under C-arm control
SPECIAL CLINICS IN DEPARMENT